You may have likely heard the term oil pulling and wondered, “What in the heck does that mean?” I know I sure did when I first heard about it several years ago.
Oil pulling is the process of swishing an oil around in your mouth for some length of time and spitting it out. The pulling part comes into play, because you are pulling the oil through every crevice of your mouth. The practice originates from Ayurvedic medicine which, at over 5000 years old, is the oldest known form of medicine.
Why would I want do do this?
Your mouth can be host to many germs. Oil pulling is a great way to get your entire mouth clean including those spaces between all of your teeth where a toothbrush and floss may not reach.
Here are some of the noted benefits to adding oil pulling to your daily routine:
– Remove unwanted bacteria
– Oral detox
– Cleanse teeth and mouth
– Whiten teeth
– Cavity prevention
– Reverse tooth decay
– Remedy bad breath
– Mend bleeding gums
– Reduce inflammation
Yes! All that!
Here’s what you do:
- First thing in the morning, when you get out of bed, and before anything else (even coffee or breakfast!) swish 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon of organic coconut/olive/sesame seed oil in your mouth. You can start out with a smaller amount and work your way up.
- Swish for 10 – 15 minutes – DO NOT SWALLOW! (You do not want to swallow the bacteria or toxins you’re pulling out).
- Spit out the oil in a trash can, not the sink, unless you want it clogged up.
- Immediately rinse out your mouth with warm water, again spitting out anything in your mouth.
- Lastly, brush your teeth.
What can I expect when I start oil pulling?
Now, I admit it took some time getting used to doing this. The texture of the oil and swishing it for so long seemed like a chore at first. But, I figured out a great way to fit this into my daily routine, while the time passed by more easily; I incorporated into my shower. Most showers are 10-15 minutes, the perfect amount of time to allow oil pulling.
You may also decide to add essential oils to oil pulling. You just need 1 drop! Some of my favorites are peppermint and spearmint essential oils for a fresh minty clean. Or, if you are battling a cold or trying to really concentrate on getting your mouth or teeth healthier, try 1 drop of clove or melaleuca essential oils.
I hope you’ll give it a try. Stick with it and you can enjoy a naturally healthier, whiter smile!
Shop for essential oils here.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products discussed are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease.